Monday, May 7, 2012

Motherhood

We are all nearing Mother's Day this year and I wanted to jot down a few feelings I have about being a mother.
Motherhood is: selflessness, breathtaking, spiritual, binding, everlasting, grievous, time consuming, jolly, liberating, and a crack up.
I don't find it possible to describe motherhood in all but one word, however, I did fall upon this quote and thought it referenced motherhood quite well:

"There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children. The choice is different and unique for each mother and each family. Many are able to be “full-time moms,” at least during the most formative years of their children’s lives, and many others would like to be. Some may have to work part-or full-time; some may work at home; some may divide their lives into periods of home and family and work. What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and, in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else."
--Elder Russell M. Ballard, "Daughters of God," General Conference April 2008

From the beginning, to essentially become a mother, we choose to surrender our own bodies to 'mother nature', and/or the natural process of life. We choose to deliver, we choose to overcome agony in labor, we choose to use our bodies as feeding grounds. We choose. We choose because there is nothing more imperative then keeping our child whole and healthy.

The hard moments. The point in time where you feel like you need to cry too, or becoming so baffled at a predicament that you are unaware as to handle the situation. Then comprehending that as much as your child is learning, you too are pursing more wisdom in this so-called "life". Perfection is far out of reach, although, I must admit that once a week, I choose one thing to work towards perfecting with my children.



After giving birth I can recall this overwhelming feeling of spirituality in the room, as  well as an everlasting binding effect. I knew this was an extension of myself, and I also understood that at the Lord's mercy was I able to even create this child. A pure and continual blessing.

I can recall the excitement of seeing each of my children grow and learn. Even observing them master their crawling techniques, and then moving onto walking. Each step into becoming a toddler is as though you are overlooking your child win the Olympics. You both receive the up-most satisfaction.

Hearing your name called by your children, and to appreciate that you are needed is tremendous. I believe knowing you are needed is a moment where a mother realizes how much her children yearn for her, and better yet love her. It's a remarkable feeling. Unconditional love is phenomenal. It holds the same degree of dedication that the Lord holds for each of us. Thus, motherhood is spiritual.

To raise your children, and to nourish them is beyond essential. You are setting the grounds for the rest of their life. As a mother, raised by a dedicated and persevering mother, I hope to be all that she was and more. I hope that I can take her excitement, her silliness, her love of family and pass that on to my children, along with many other qualities. 


I will forever be grateful for the guidance that my mother has given to me, as well as the lessons my children have taught me- and the lessons they will continue to teach me.


3 comments:

Bronson & Daphne said...

Loved this!! Makes me excited to become a mother in a few months.

Unknown said...

Jade you have me in tears. I had to read it to my husband. He loved it to. I know that you mother is proud of you. you are a wonderful woman and mother.

Unknown said...

Jade you have me in tears. I had to read it to my husband. He loved it to. I know that you mother is proud of you. you are a wonderful woman and mother.